October 13, 2018In Memory of Dave Blumenthal
Voted Vermont’s Best MTB Race in 2014, 2015 and 2016 by Vermont Sports readers
Northeast Kingdom Vermont’s annual mountain bike or trail running marathon. hosted by Kingdom Trails, Burke Mountain and Victory Hill Sector. A difficult and scenic 26/2 mile circuit on singletrack and logging roads. The one lap event is for trail runners and bikers. The two lap “CircumBerzerk 50+ miler is for bikers only.
Support our trails: All proceeds go towards trails building an maintenance!
Venue: Burke Mountain, Sherburne Lodge, 3 Sherburne Lodge Rd, East Burke, VT 05832
8:00 CircumBerzerkers (50 milers) and Trail Runners
10:00 Expert / Advanced Racer (M/W)
10:05 Sport / Intermediate Racer, Junior U19 (M/W)
10:10 Open / Novice (M/W), Junior U15 (M/W)
Registration: $90 until 9/15/18, $110 until close of online registration on Wednesday, Oct 10, 2017 at midnight. Late (onsite) registration. Number pickup & late (onsite) registration for $120 at Burke Mountain Hotel and Conference Center, 2559 Mountain Rd, East Burke, VT 05832, USA from 5:00 to 7:30 PM and on race day at Sherburne Lodge (Burke Mountain Base Lodge) from 6:45 until 9 AM.
BIKERS register at bikereg.com
TRAIL RUNNERS register at ultrasignup.com
Refund Policy: No refunds, however entrants, who cannot attend, may substitute another participant’s name for for theirs online at bikereg.com or until Wednesday October 10th at midnight. by emailing email@example.com .
Course Description: As in 2016 and 2017, the circuit starts and finishes at Sherburne Lodge on Burke Mountain. A 27 mile loop around Burke Mountain, Kingdom Trails and Victory Hill is used for all categories. Tons of climbing and descending. Elevation gain 3000+ feet.
Results and Timing: BART Race Services provides timing. The organizers offer raffle prizes for finishers. Unofficial results will be posted by the following day.
Enduro Classification: Two self-service enduro classifications will be generated over “Old Clodhopper” (.8 miles) and” McGill’s Thrill to Shakedown” (1.2 Miles) for Strava.com users using their smart phones or other GPS devices with Strava activated during the event. A “leaderboard” will be generated on Strava after riders uploaded their ride data to Strava. Male and Female winners receive Victory Hill Enduro T-Shirts.
Excerpt from Vermont Sports 2017 Black Diamond Awards Issue:
“ Most Competitive Event: Circumburke: Every fall, cyclists and trail runners head to East Burke for a tough cross-country race through the forests and hills in the Northeast Kingdom and around Burke Mountain…the event also includes an enduro component for riders to test their downhill skills. Along the way, you’ll get foliage views from Burke, the White Mountains and Victory Bog. Runners-up: 2. Vermont 50 Mountain Bike Race, 3. Spartan and Death Races, 4. Stowe Derby, 5. Tough Mudder.”
Volunteering: CircumBurke could not happen without the goodwill and dedication of its volunteers. Participants may find friends or family members to volunteer on raceday and receive a heavily discounted entry fee
Rules for All Participants: Safety first and use common sense!
- PASSING ETIQUETTE: Although staggered start times and a new course should minimize these inevitable encounters, faster runners will overtake slower cyclists, particularly on uphill sections and then be repassed by cyclists on downhills. Overtaking athletes are asked to call out politely “On your right” or “One your left“, before passing on the appropriate side. be courteous, if you are being passed, do your best to move aside
- LITTER: You will use State Forest and private land in a pristine corner of Vermont. Keep spent GU packs in your pockets.
- One PORT-A-POTTY is also located at Feed Zone#3 in Victory“. for those who have to “go” mid-race.
- NO DOGS out of respect for landowners along the way.
- DRIVE SLOW AND BE POLITE TO THE LOCALS WHEN COMMUTING TO EVENT: No fast rally driving enroute to the race. Favorable reception by the local community is essential for this event.
- PREPARE FOR ADVERSITY: Cyclists bring a spare tube, pump or CO2 cartridge, chaintool and allen keys. No in-situ mechanical support. Consider packing an extra layer and possibly a raincoat to avoid hypothermia in case of mishap.
- Please Cross the Finish Line upon returning to the Stock Farm to let us know that you’ve returned safely and we don’t need to send out a search party. Don’t shortcut to your car.
Lunch: Don’t lose your lunch ticket. No replacements. Tickets for friends & family can be purchased.
Raffle: The prize raffles include a modest assortment of product schwag from the CircumBurke’s generous and faithful sponsors. Two raffles will occur; the first at around 2:30 for those who have finished already and the second raffle at 3:30 pm for those who spend a little longer on the course. This way, everyone is accommodated and appreciated regardless of finish time.
Emergencies: Bike “sweepers” will follow the main CircumBurke and Mountain Running waves. Emergency personnel will also be stationed at key points along the course in the case that you need assistance. If you have an emergency or see an injured participant please call the following numbers and/or try to ask another participant to notify someone at the nearest food/aid station (every 4-6 miles) or marshal the road crossings (in East Burke only).
Bike Recommendations: A full suspension cross country MTB would be ideally suited to the course, although a hardtail might be faster on climbing and flat sections. Not suitable for Cyclocross bikes. It can be very muddy on section of the course, especially on the infamous “gold trail” depending on the weather..some riders have used very fat MTB tires but most opt for tires in the 2.0 range with tread patterns matched to the weather/surface moisture conditions.