Saturday,October 14, 2017
In Memory of Dave Blumenthal
This annual MTB and trail running ritual follows an epic and brutal 26+ mile circuit around Burke and Umpire mountains on Kingdom Trails singletrack.
Trail Running Events:
Marathon Trail Run: 1 Lap 26+/- GPS miles @ 8AM
Same course as MTB events (8AM/10AM)
Start Venue: Sherburne (Base) Lodge., 223 Sherburne Lodge Rd, East Burke, VT 05832
Registration: Online Registration at Runreg.com: $55 before September 1st. $65 before October 1st. $75 until close of online registration on Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at midnight. Friday registration and number pickup will be at Kingdom Ttails in East Burke from 5:30 to 8:30 PM. Saturday event day registration is $80.
Refund Policy: No refunds, however entrants, who cannot attend, may substitute another participant’s name for for theirs, until Wednesday October 11th on bikereg.com or by emailing email@example.com.
Bibs/Numbers Pick-up at the Pub Outback in East Burke on Friday Night from 5:30 to 8:30 or onsite until 30 minutes before your event. Paper frameplate numbers for bikes. Pin on shirtfront numbers for runners..
Course: Burke is Back! This year’s cicuit will start and finish at Sherburne Lodge at Burke Mountain. “26 .2” unverified GPS miles on “the wild side” of Burke and Umpire mountains overlooking the White Mountains and the Victory Bog. for all categories. Kingdom Trails singletrack, with some state logging trail and bits of town road. 3000+ feet of climbing. Last year’s, 26 mile lap took cyclists between 2 hours 45 minutes and 6 hours, and runners 3.5 to 7 hours.
New sections of professionally built singletrack now compliment extensive homebuilt trails and and logging roads. For course details click here.
Results and Timing: While emphasizing participation and fun over competition, surviving the CircumBurke is a great achievement. Our volunteers thus offer raffle prizes plus unofficial courtesy timing and results posted online the day after the event, to honor your suffering. Complete results will NOT be furnished immediately after the event, due to electricity and volunteer constraints..
Results and Timing: Surviving the CircumBurke is a great achievement. Raffle prizes, unofficial courtesy timing and results are offered in order to honor your suffering. Complete results will NOT be furnished immediately after the event but posted online the day after. Strava “Enduro” times will be generated automatically by Strava for those riders, running Strava on their GPS devices.
Feed Zones (4): Water in cups or directly from a cooler and an assortment of food from local producers or local markets (bars, bagels, VT made specialties, bananas, oranges and chips). If you require special food or beverages, please bring them.
Course Marking/Signage: RED is the dominant marking color along CircumBurke route. (Red diamonds with black arrows, blank red diamonds or red wooden signs with white arrows) as well as white foam-board signs with red or black arrows reading, “CircumBurke”, which will be employed at major turns. Brush piles & tape are used to block intersections. Don’t jump these!
Rules for All Participants: Safety first and use common sense!
- PASSING ETIQUETTE: Although staggered start times and a new course should minimize these inevitable encounters, faster runners will overtake slower cyclists, particularly on uphill sections and then be repassed by cyclists on downhills. Overtaking athletes are asked to call out politely “On your right” or “One your left“, before passing on the appropriate side. be courteous, if you are being passed, do your best to move aside.
- LITTER: You will use State Forest and private land in a pristine corner of Vermont. Keep spent GU packs in your pockets.
- NO DOGS out of respect for landowners along the way.
- DRIVE SLOW AND BE POLITE TO THE LOCALS WHEN COMMUTING TO EVENT: No fast rally driving enroute to the race. Favorable reception by the local community is essential for this event.
- PREPARE FOR ADVERSITY: Cyclists bring a spare tube, pump or CO2 cartridge, chaintool and allen keys. No in-situ mechanical support. Consider packing an extra layer and possibly a raincoat to avoid hypothermia in case of mishap.
- Please Cross the Finish Line upon returning to the Stock Farm to let us know that you’ve returned safely and we don’t need to send out a search party. Don’t shortcut to your car.
Emergencies: Bike “sweepers” will follow. Emergency personnel will also be stationed at key points along the course in the case that you need assistance. If you have an emergency or see an injured participant please call the following numbers and/or try to ask another participant to notify someone at the nearest food/aid station (every 4-6 miles) or marshal the road crossings (in East Burke only).
Lunch: Don’t lose your lunch ticket. No replacements. Tickets for friends & family can be purchased.
Raffle: The prize raffles include a modest assortment of product schwag from the CircumBurke’s generous and faithful sponsors. Two raffles will occur; the first at around 2:30 for those who have finished already and the second raffle at 3:30 pm for those who spend a little longer on the course. This way, everyone is accommodated and appreciated regardless of finish time.